At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About YMCA Wyndham Vale Early Learning Centre
Our vibrant Early Learning Centre incorporates modern and progressive teaching practices which embeds the Early Learning Years Framework. Working in alignment with YMCA Victoria's philosophy, our ELC setting prides itself in teaching a calm and structured learning environment where children are exposed to high-quality education.
We offer children a purpose-built early learning centre to instill a love of learning, nurture curiosity and help children reach their full potential, providing everything needed to play, learn and thrive throughout the day.
Our brand new, state-of-the-art Early Learning Centre in Wyndham Vale due to open in Early 2020 and will have the capacity for 124 places.
Key Elements of the Role
We are looking for a passionate Room Leader to join our team in 2020. This role will require a strong customer focus and the exceptional delivery of the National Quality Framework in Early Learning. You will experience specialist support from a diverse and caring team, as you drive community and family engagement, with children at the heart of our service philosophy.
The Room Leader will:
Lead, Manage and motivate appointed room staff to achieve the objectives of the Centre and support staff in their development.
Assist with the mentoring of permanent and casual employees
Create a safe and fun environment for the children that is engaging and educational and deliver consistent high-quality practice of the National Quality Framework, including regulatory compliance (Education and Care National Regulations and Act), adherence to the seven National Quality Standards and Victorian Early Years Learning Framework (VEYLF)
Coordinate and direct the activities of employees engaged in the implementation and evaluation of the developmentally appropriate curriculum for individual children and groups of children
Responsible for ensuring that records are maintained accurately for each child in care
Maintain ongoing records of the child’s development and daily information
Contribute to a culture of innovative Early Childhood practices and professional development while supporting
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Demonstrates YMCA Victoria values, Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility
- Promotes and accepts personal accountability to better influence
- Provides continuous feedback and clarity of messages within the team
- Performs in a way that inspires and motivates the team to do their best
- Supports a culture of continuous learning and development across the team
- Works autonomously under general direction
- Ability to positively network and build effective working relationships with stakeholders
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and understanding of the National Quality Framework, Victorian Early Years Framework, and the Education and Care National Regulations and Act
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as well-developed emotional intelligence
- Inter-personal skills: Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and well-developed emotional
- Ability to mentor employees in areas of programming and development of portfolios as the Room Leader
- Ability to provide ongoing support and assistance to the Manager and other Room Leaders in all areas of administrative procedures, curriculum development, family and community liaison, and employee professional development
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualifications
- Diploma in Early Childhood / Children’s Services or equivalent
- First Aid Level 2
- Current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation Certificate
- Anaphylaxis and Asthma Qualifications
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks.
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.