Early Years Director / Educational Leader
At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About the Centre
The Mernda YMCA Early Learning Centre and Sessional Kindergarten was built as part of the Governments New School PPP Project on the same footprint as Mernda Park Primary School.
Our centre consists of a Maternal Child and Health Service, 2 Sessional Kindergarden rooms and a 104 place Long Day Care Service catering for children from 6 weeks old to integrated 4yr old kindergarten.
Sustainable practices and respect for our environments are a high priority within our centre, being integrated into each daily program by having a natural environment both indoors and outdoors including various animals.
Key Elements of the Role
Your role would primarily be as an educational leader, and to secondly assist the centre manager to lead and support the educators, children and families in a lovely community centre.
The core focus of this role is to support the children and families through strong educational leadership to the other educators in the service.
The newly appointed Educational Leader will be provided with ongoing professional development training specifically designed for Educational Leaders. This will also be facilitated with 8 hours of non - contact time per week to specifically carry out the Educational Leader Role.
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Demonstrates YMCA Victoria values, Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility
- Promotes and accepts personal accountability to better influence
- Provides continuous feedback and clarity of messages within the team
- Performs in a way that inspires and motivates the team to do their best
- Supports a culture of continuous learning and development across the team
- Team Development: Showcase strong leadership abilities while supporting the local team of Educators with
- an emphasis on collaboration, communication, empowerment and engagement.
- Business Development: Ability to plan, develop and meet short and long-term goals to strengthen the operations of the Centre and drive strategic planning (desirable).
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and understanding in the implementation and ongoing management of the National Quality Framework and current Early Childhood pedagogies.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Ability to positively network and collaborate with internal and external community stakeholders to drive community engagement and customer experience.
- Inter-personal skills: Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and well-developed emotional intelligence
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, including the ability to delegate, prioritise and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualification
- Tertiary qualification in ECEC
- Minimum 5 years' experience in the ECEC sector
- First Aid Level 2
- Anaphylaxis and Asthma qualifications
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks.
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.