Room Leader (Diploma) - SDN UNSW Owls House (Kingsford)
Join the SDN village and make a real difference to the lives of children.
When you begin a career in an SDN Early Education and Care centre, you're joining a village of opportunity. Our centres are inclusive and unique environments where everyone is welcome and respected. Discover a community of professionals who are enhancing children's wellbeing by partnering with families to enrich young lives every day.
SDN Children's Services is a not for profit organisation that has been delivering quality early childhood education and child care, children's therapies and family support services since 1905.
We are one of Australia's most respected children's services organisations, and have over 700 staff across 34 sites in Sydney, regional NSW and the ACT. We also have therapists who support children with autism or a developmental delay, and can help overcome the challenges that can make everyday life and participation tough for children.
About The Centre
SDN Children's Services will commence management of Owls House, a 48 place centre located in Kingsford in January 2021. This centre is spread across 2 houses and 4 levels with 6 place spaces which have been purposefully designed by children, with children in mind. The centre offers windows at eye level for children to see the outside world, a theatre for performances and multiple shared play spaces throughout the centre.
Our qualified team facilitate innovative, child-centred and child-led learning programs in a safe, healthy, happy and stimulating context that help all children to develop a love of life-long learning through activities and teaching approaches that nurture caring hearts, healthy bodies and curious minds.
About The Role
As a Diploma qualified Room Leader, you will work as part of a team supporting the Centre Director with general direction and supervision of staff, students, volunteers within the nominated room and team in general.
You will lead the nominated room and be responsible for the overall room management, including the children, program, staff safety and environment identifying and supporting staff development through individual and team assessment. You will be ensuring routines are being followed and run smoothly and responsible for the direction of other staff within the group, including allocation of room duties.
This is a Full-time permanent role.
- Diploma of Children's Services (Centre Based Care)
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of the Early Years Learning Framework
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of the National Quality Standards
- Demonstrated experience in leading a room in an early childhood education and care setting
- Working with Children Check (NSW)
- Sound understanding of the development of children, their health, hygiene and nutritional needs
- Current Senior First Aid Certificate
- Asthma and Anaphylaxis certificates (preferable)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in a similar role
- Understanding of Child Protection legislation and holds an approved and current Child Protection Training qualification.
SDN's values are at the heart of everything we do. If you share our values and believe that through working together we can make the world a better and more equitable place then we want to hear from you! We commit ourselves to being: trustworthy and reliable, inclusive and respectful and creative and innovative.
SDN Benefits include:
- Positive welcoming culture
- Priority placement for children of staff members and discounted child care fees
- Paid parental leave
- Rewards and Recognition Program
- Access to Long Service Leave after 5 years continuous service
- Finders fee - Referral Scheme
- RDOs for full-time educators
- Employee Assistance Program - Free, voluntary and confidential counselling service
- Paid mandatory Work Health and Safety training including First Aid and CPR
- SDN Staff Giving Fund
- Purchased Leave
- Study Leave
- Picnic Day - One extra day paid leave for all permanent staff
- Flu Vaccination reimbursement
- Access to Flare HR - gift card discounts to leading major retailers
To view the position description, please follow the link below or copy and paste into web browser:
SDN Children's Services welcomes and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Successful applicants will be subject to relevant pre-employment checks including Working with Children Check (NSW), National Police Check and Covid 19 vaccination in line with government regulations.
About SDN Childrens Services
SDN Children’s Services is a not for profit organisation that has been delivering quality early childhood education and child care, children's therapies and family support services since 1905.
We are one of Australia’s most respected children’s services organisations, and have over 600 staff across 30 sites in Sydney, regional NSW and the ACT.